Update on Doug Kerr’s
93 Islands of Scotland Challenge
As many of you will be aware, veteran befriender Doug Kerr is currently embarking on a unique Scottish island hop, visiting all 93 of our inhabitated islands in order to climb their highest peak. As well as providing a personal challenge, Doug is also hoping that the three year long adventure will raise a substantial amount of money for three of his favourite charities – Mary’s Meals, Rotary International and Dumfries and Galloway Befriending Project.
Doug explains : “This challenge will see me visiting 93 islands across Scotland. This ranges from small inlet islands of Loch Lomond to the rugged terrain of Mull. Each island has it’s own story and history and I am looking forward to learning more about each one I visit. Having lived in Scotland for the majority of my life I have already visited some of the islands but there will be a number that will be new to me.”
- In April/May time Doug Kerr will be flying to Coll and Tiree. David Archibald will be the pilot. David very kindly donated an auction prize of a flight over Dumfries & Galloway for our Burns Supper.
- Between 30th May and 2nd June, Doug and his party of walkers will be in Jura. This visit will see them climb the Pap of Jura, join in at the Whiskey Festival and enjoy a ceilidh. Our very own Linda Mushet will be joining the walking party.
- In the first week of June, Doug will be heading to the Small Isles to climb Eigg, Rum, Canna and Muck.
- The second week of June, Doug will be taking on the heights of Orkney.
- July will see Doug and eight people travel to Gigha which is a small island off the west coast of Kintyre. Eilean da Mheinn and Danna, will also be scaled in this visit.
- Late September, Doug will visit Easdale Island, near Oban, coinciding with the World Stone Skimming Championship and of course to climb another peak.
You can follow Doug’s progress on www.93islandsofscotland.wordpress.com Meanwhile, he would be delighted if anyone would like to join him on any of the walks. If you are interested please contact him by email on firstname.lastname@example.org